Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Now I'm 'Going Colonial'

Over the past few number of months, I've taken a break from my personal blog to focus on a project I've been working on. This project is a new travel blog focused on traveling through a colonial architecture lens, which means providing travel advice while also promoting the beautiful colonial structures at each destination. It's called "Going Colonial."

Even though where I live currently, Taiwan, has a fair share of colonial architecture from the Japanese colonization, it wasn't until a trip to Hong Kong where I really discovered it. Colonial architecture is as diverse as it is important to our history, and I fell in love with its elegance and grandeur.

I'm really excited about this new venture as I have become a better traveler over the past two years living abroad and have learned much about a subject that people don't know much about currently. I want to share colonial architecture with the world and demonstrate that these colonial structures are a part of the heritage of each of the countries they belong to now, and they should be preserved or renovated while maintaining their original design.

Why the name 'Going Colonial'? 

'Going' is a play on words because I'm using it in the sense that you are going or traveling somewhere, but also using it as you would for change in style, as in 'Going Global.' So I want to encourage people to get out there and travel and at the same time have a focus on history and colonial architecture while they're out on the road.

Why colonial architecture? 

As I mentioned, when I traveled to Hong Kong for Christmas in 2015, I discovered colonial architecture. I even went to the library to study more about it while I was there! I think it's the simple, yet complex nature of many of the buildings that I appeal to me, as well as my fascination with exploration and how small countries in Europe could control vast empires on the other side of the world.

What are my goals?

My goals are to provide people with inspiration to get involved in the preservation of colonial buildings and to travel with a historical mindset. I want people to recognize colonial architecture's beauty and understand that we should do our best around the world to preserve our history and heritage.

How can you be a part of it?

You can be a part of 'Going Colonial' by simply reading the content and subscribing to my newsletter. I hope that you get involved in preserving historical buildings in whatever community. Also, follow me on Facebook and Instagram, and use the hashtag #goingcolonial.

I hope you enjoy 'going colonial!' Thank you for all your support and let me know what you think of the site!


No comments:

Post a Comment