Tuesday, February 2, 2016

5 Things I Wish I Had Done In College and 5 Things I'm Proud Of

5 Things I Wish I Had Done in College:

1. Not Sold My Books

This is easily the number one thing I wish I had done while I was in college. I sold some books I had bought for $100 for $10! Ten dollars! Absolutely absurd. Some deals were better than others, but I thought $10 was more important than information. There have been numerous occasions where I wish I could pull out an old college book, and not even a situationally relevant topic, just for the sake of curiousity. When my kids are in college, and they say at the end of the semester, "I need to sell my books to get some extra cash," my response will be, "Here's a $200 check. I'm buying your books from you and you can thank me later." Do not sell your books. Find a way to keep them. 

2. Learned How To Learn

When in college, I thought that I had kept decent notes and learned efficiently, but after reflecting on it, there was so much more that could have been done. One way to improve memorization skills and efficiently study is to implement techniques like Pomodoro and Renaissance Learning, which I found after college with Coursera's 'Learning How to Learn' class. To find other techniques, use the almighty Alphabet or ask your peers what they do to stay focused. Prepare yourself mentally for this challenge and put effort into finding resources to help improve your time mangaement and organization. Learning how to learn properly will set you up for success throughout your life, you'll be able to better adapt and learn new skills faster.

3. Studied Abroad

I believe studying abroad is an invaluable college experience. You can grow immensely from studying in a foreign country with your peers, learning and having fun together. I didn't believe I had the extra money to study abroad in the summer. I was also a sophomore transfer student, so I thought it would be difficult to take a semester off from campus life. I looked for excuses not to go. Instead, you should look for ways and reasons to go. If you don't feel like you have the money to go, ask your financial aid office how you can study abroad affordably. Sure, you might come home without much money that summer or winter, but you will look back on your time abroad in the future, and never regret it.

4.  Read More and Listened Better

This can be interpreted in many ways, and I intended it that way. I wish I had read more course material. I found myself often skimming books instead of reading closely and thinking deeply about the consumed information. I also wished I read more for fun. I felt like I didn't have the time because of the actual coursework, but that isn't the case. You are the source of time. If you truly want to read something you're interested in, you will make the time. Not only will reading material outside your coursework broaden your knowledge, it will also increase your overall wellbeing, enjoying what you're reading and a sense of accomplishment when you're finished.

Listening, like reading, should be interpreted in a couple of different ways. For one, I wish I had listened to more podcasts in college. I have listened to more podcasts in the last six months than I have in the past six years, by far. You can find incredible information on nearly any topic, my current favorites being The Tim Ferriss Show and Men In Blazers. More importantly though, I wish I had listened better to people around me. I think I did a decent job of listening during my time in school, but I didn't put enough thought into truly understanding what I had heard. Ask many questions, listen intently, and understand what people are saying.

5. Exercised More Often

It wasn't until almost two years after graduation that I realized I had put on too much weight throughout my time in college. I wish I had my made exercise a priority, running and lifting for just 30 minutes each day. The carbs at the dining hall got to me, and I didn't lose the weight I gained in college until moving abroad last year. I thought that playing intramurals, a club sport, and climbing my dorm's intense stairs would be enough to keep me in decent shape, but it wasn't. The gym is a "free" resource at most colleges, so take advantage of it and create a schedule that works for you.


The 5 Things I'm Proud Of:

1. Living Life to the Fullest

There's an easy number one to the things I'm most proud of: living life to the fullest. I think anyone who knew me can attest to that, and I really believe I had as much fun as any college student. We did things we probably shouldn't have, but we always had a great time together. Running out of gas in the middle-of-nowhere Montana on an 11 hour roadtrip to Salt Lake City for the NCAA Tournament, epic intramural championship victories, and making the cover of Sports Illustrated are just a few of the big memories. If you get asked to go anywhere or do something with friends and are not sure what to do, just say yes. These experiences will change your life. 

2. Involvement

I listed a few main goals for what I wanted to do outside the classroom before I left for school: 1. Be on a student leadership committee. 2. Actively involved in athletics 3. Join at least one club I'm passionate about. Even if you don't achieve all of the goals you set, you'll end up above the rest. I am fortunate to have achieved the goals I set for myself. I was a representative for our student section, played on the club ice hockey team, and joined Colleges Against Cancer hosting the Relay For Life event on campus. Being involved in extracurriculars without feeling overwhelmed is a key to a successful college experience. Join a club that interests you (there's something for everyone!) and build new relationships and boost your self confidence in doing something you're passionate about as a community.

3. Friends I Made and the People I Met

The friends I made at Gonzaga changed my life and continue to change it. They are the ones who were there for me when the times were tough and the ones who I had the best years of my life with. They are joyful and adventurous, and have a high level of integrity. Choose your friends wisely. They are a reflection of your character and will be guiding you positively or negatively during your time in school. Go outside your comfort zone, and 'be first' by introducing yourself to new people. If you connect, form relationships with them and make them friends that will last your lifetime. 

4. Taking Foreign Language Classes

I emphasized classes as plural because I think it is one of the most valuable things you can do in college, taking at least one foreign language course. I had the opportunity to take Latin and Mandarin Chinese, which were two of the best decisions I made. In Latin, I learned about where my own native language came from and how to decipher some of the Latin language that continues to have a big impact on our society today in economics, science, law, etc. The professor, Father Krall, a Jesuit priest, was later cemented as my favorite college professor. Mandarin Chinese gave me a glimpse into not only a new language, but also a new culture. Without taking that class, I'm not sure I would have ever actually moved to Asia.

5. Opening My Mind

I grew up in a small town in California's Central Valley, and even though I was able to experience a lot through the years, it does not compare to a living in a large city where you get to see much more each day. I was raised with a mindset that had safety and conservatism at the forefront. I admire that mindset and am proud to have grown up in it. But in college, I was able to sit down with other people and hear new thoughts and stories that changed many of my views. College opened my mind to a globally connected world, and challenged my belief system. Sit down with your friends and have long discussions about ideas, problems, etc and open your mind to all viewpoints.










No comments:

Post a Comment